UNTAPPED: Open Call
UNTAPPED invites visual artists to apply to participate in a group show to be held in November at GILLMAN BARRACKS, at the Chan + Hori Contemporary gallery space. The goal of the series is to establish support networks and offer practical experience for local artists at this crucial early stage in their career. UNTAPPED does this by presenting an annual juried group exhibition and by connecting artists directly with arts patrons.
UNTAPPED exhibits new work by up to 20 artists with up to 4 years of professional practice. This show is scheduled for November 2018. For the first time this year, UNTAPPED Discovery and UNTAPPED Emerging will be combined in one group show and exhibition will be held at GILLMAN BARRACKS.
The feature that sets UNTAPPED apart from other emerging artist programmes is its close collaboration with arts patrons. Local patrons provide the up-front funding for the project. In return, each patron is able to collect one artwork from each exhibition. This means that over a third of the artworks shown by these young artists will automatically be acquired by established art patrons. This goes beyond general exposure and connects artists directly with individuals who are actively supporting the visual arts in Singapore.
UNTAPPED will be promoted directly to students at Singaporean art schools as well as posted on local arts notice boards. Submissions will be reviewed and selected by the VADA Advisory Committee.
The exhibitions will be promoted to media, the arts industry and general public through press releases, social media, and featured on the VADA website.
Artists selected to participate in UNTAPPED will receive a $200 SGD artist fee and compensated for artworks sold.
2018 UNTAPPED Advisory Committee
Michelle Ho – Curator, ADM Gallery & Assistant Director, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Martin Constable - Assistant Professor, The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Vietnam
Adeline Kueh - Senior Lecturer at LASALLE College of the Arts
From the applications received, up to 20 artists will be selected to exhibit a minimum of one new work at the UNTAPPED exhibition to be held 23 November - 20 December 2018 at GILLMAN BARRACKS.
Applications close 29 April 2018. Participants will be announced by 25 May 2018.
ARTIST SELECTION CRITERIA
- Applicants must have up to 4 years of professional practice as of March 2018. Professional practice is defined as participation in gallery, festival or museum exhibitions, or in artist residencies. Participation in academic exhibitions (e.g. graduation shows) is not considered professional practice.
- Applicants must be over the age of 16.
- Applicants must be Singapore-based.
- Applicants must not currently have exclusive gallery representation.
- Artists working in any medium are invited to apply; however, work/s created for the exhibition should be capable of being displayed in a gallery setting. Exceptions may be considered.
- Applicants may apply as individuals or as a collective.
Artists will be selected based on their submitted artwork's originality, conceptual rigour, technical expertise, and coherence between the concept and the finished work. Selected artists will also have demonstrated a commitment to artistic practice.
ARTIST SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
In a single, zipped folder please submit the following items:
1. Current Artist CV (CV should clearly state the artist name, address, email, phone number, nationality, and art related activities in which you have participated, including exhibitions, art talks, performances, etc. The CV should also include a short artist bio.)
2. Artist Statement (300- 500 words. This should correlate to the artist's own practice and the images submitted as evidence of their practice.)
3. 10 to 15 images of the applicant's original artwork. Images should be in a .jpg or .tif format, and of good quality (at least 3000 pixels wide and no more than 1.5mb in size). The file naming convention should be: FAMILY_NAME_Given_Name_file_number.jpg/tiff. Example: WONG_Cheng_Lim_03.jpg.
4. A text file (file extension .txt or .rtf) specifying the artist name and for each image the following: title, the year it was made, dimensions in cm. (height x width), and medium.
All material should be placed within a single folder. The naming convention of the folder should be: FAMILY_NAME_Given_Name. Example: WONG_Cheng_Lim.
This folder should be zipped and the entire zip file should be no larger than 20mb. This should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: UNTAPPED Application - (Applicant family name).
Applications close 29 April 2018.
PREPARATION & EXHIBITION
In the lead up to the November 2018 exhibition, selected artists will be required to attend a Kick-off Meeting and an Educational Session on working with galleries. Prior to opening night, artists will attend an Exhibition Preview during which they will present their work to the UNTAPPED Patrons and other participating artists. Artists are encouraged to attend the opening night event and visit the exhibition often during the 4-week run.Additional details regarding preparation requirements and activities for the UNTAPPED artists will be provided immediately following their announcement.
2018 UNTAPPED EMERGING TIMELINE:
6 April 2018 - Applications Open
29 April 2018 - Submissions Due
25 May 2018 - Selected Artists Announced
2 June 2018 - KO Meeting (1.5 hours)
24 June 2018 - Proposal for new work due
11 August 2018 - Working with Galleries Presentation (1 hour)
23 November 2018 - Exhibition Preview (2 hours)
24 November - 20 December 2018 - Exhibition (Includes Opening Event - 2 hours)
Dates and times are subject to change.